Popular Posts

Tuesday 26 January 2016

Waistcoat to hood snood

I had a bit of trouble figuring out what to do with today's refashion. The garment in question came in a pile of stuff that my lovely sister-in-law Kelly gave me, which she had herself been given from other people. She handed me this piece of clothing saying, 'I haven't a clue even what this is!'. Turns out it was a sort of waistcoat with a hood, made from grey jersey fabric. The only problem was...well...everything about it. It was a weird drape-y thing that made me look like a big bug. I'm not even joking.


Bzzzz....
After much head scratching I decided that the only thing to do with this thing was to remove everything I didn't like. I couldn't just take it in to make a fitted waistcoat because of the way it was made, and my other idea, to make it into a skirt, wouldn't have worked either. Hmmm. I was going to have to get creative.

First I unpicked the front from the neckline, removing the hood at the same time.


Next, I spread it out on the floor and trimmed off some of the bottom to make the panels narrower.


Then I stitched up edges together to make a tube, making sure to insert the hood back in first. Can you see where I'm going with this yet? The last thing was to turn the tube right way round and stitch the ends together. I used a normal straight stitch for this, and then went back over it with a decorative stitch in a contrasting colour.


Et voila! Hood snood! Not my best work, and I'm not sure I'll wear it, but at least its better than the bug costume.

No comments:

Post a Comment