Popular Posts

Wednesday 6 January 2016

Band tee to vest top

Back in 2007 I went to Leeds Festival for the second time. I'd just finished my undergraduate degree and split up with a long-term boyfriend, so I had a great time! While I was there I bought a Red Hot Chili Peppers T-shirt. I loved the design, but as usual the smallest size was still too big. I bought it anyway, as you do. Unfortunately the neck line was quite tight, and as I don't really like tight things around my neck I ended up avoiding wearing it. After a while it became consigned to the work wear pile (I work outdoors), and it ended up a bit stretched with deodorant stains on the armpits (classy).

Not my best angle...



I decided I didn't want to get rid of the T-shirt, because I really do like the design and I love the Chili Peppers, so I decided to get rid of the bits I didn't like and make it into a vest top. I started with the collar. It was far too high and I felt as though I was being strangled every time I put it on. I cut away the heavy edging and deepened the neckline on both front and back, to just above the top of the print. Next I unpicked the sleeves. 

Better already!

I measured myself, then turned the top inside out and marked how far I wanted to take it in. I wanted it to fit my shape better than it currently did, so I added a bit of shape too. 




I stitched a line of stretch overcasting down each side and trimmed off the excess. I didn't have any thread the right shade of red, so I used a contrasting dark grey to match the print. Then I turned over the raw edges of the neckline and sleeve holes and stitched them down. The result is a much-improved lightweight vest top, with a much less strangly neckline!


 ta-dah! 

Perfect for summer! Shame it's January really. Oh well!

No comments:

Post a Comment